President Ramaphosa recently announced that a number of restrictions will be lifted in Level 3 within the next few weeks. Under this new phase, many businesses will be allowed to reopen, including sit-down restaurants. This news is a massive relief to many local business owners, whose businesses have been greatly impacted by COVID-19 and the strict lockdown restrictions. However, to ensure the public’s safety, strict rules and regulations will be put in place for restaurants to open safely:
Here are some guidelines and tips to help you reopen:
- Check all staff’s temperatures taken daily when they arrive at work.
- Inform staff that they must stay home if they are feeling ill.
- Ensure that all your staff has access to the correct masks or PPE. Consider providing staff with masks if they do not have their own.
- Rethink the table spacing of your restaurant so that you can better enforce social distancing.
- Provide your customers and staff with hand sanitiser that many points within the restaurant.
- Clean and sanitise public areas and tables after every new customer.
- Enforce social distancing in all staff areas such as in the kitchen.
- Properly disinfect all cutlery, crockery, and payment devices after every customer.
- Assign a staff member to sanitise customer hands as they enter the restaurant.
- Think of creative ways to display your menu so that customers don’t have to physically interact with it. Consider investing in chalkboards or even digital menu screens to display your menu clearly and safely.
- Consider adapting your business to offer online ordering and delivery. Many customers may still prefer to order for delivery, and it is important that you have a proper online ordering process in place.
COVID-19 has completely altered the ways we live our lives, but their reopening of restaurants will signify that we are starting to adapt to the new normal. Even though the threat of the spread of COVID-19 is still very real with the correct processes in place restaurants can help to keep their staff and customers safe.