SENIOR CLOUD SOFTWARE ENGINEER
We are looking for a creative and detail-oriented person who is excited about building robust and high quality products in a dynamic and fast-paced environment. This position offers excellent growth potential for an engineer with the ability to rapidly learn new concepts and technologies and who is set on taking ownership and applying creative solutions to modern day problems.
As such the candidate should have a solid working knowledge of modern Cloud technologies, front-end as well as backend software engineering aspects, and must be a hands-on developer and technical leader. Excellent English verbal and written communication skills are essential.
The candidate will be part of the TallOrder development team working on our leading Cloud-based POS system, and work closely with the CTO to further grow our product.
CORE ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Developing, deploying, automating, maintaining and managing AWS Cloud-based production systems with emphasis on availability, performance, scalability and security.
- Take ownership of various development aspects across the technology stack, including APIs, Cloud services, data design and cloud infrastructure.
- Build, release and configuration management of production systems.
- Pre-production Acceptance Testing to help assure the quality of our products / services. System troubleshooting and problem solving across platform and application domains. Suggesting architecture improvements, recommending process improvements.
- Evaluate new technology options and vendor products.
- Ensuring critical system security using best in class cloud security solutions
- Work closely with product leads, designers and engineers to improve the quality, robustness and user experience of the product.
- Actively partake in the defining, planning and executing the product roadmap.
- Accurately predict development timelines, can stick to them and react quickly to change.
- Establish and promote design guidelines, best practices and industry standards.
- Continually keep yourself updated with the latest changes in your industry’s standards.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties and indeed additional responsibilities may be assigned, as required.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 5+ years of relevant experience with a proven track record.
- AWS: 2+ years’ experience with using a broad range of AWS technologies (e.g. EC2, RDS, SNS, SQS, ELB, ECS, DynamoDB, S3, VPC, Glacier, IAM, CloudWatch, KMS) to develop and maintain an Amazon AWS based cloud solution, with an emphasis on best practice cloud security.
- DevOps: Solid experience as a DevOps Engineer in a 24×7 uptime Amazon AWS environment, including automation experience with configuration management tools.
- Scripting Skills: Strong scripting (e.g. Python) and automation skills.
- Operating Systems: Linux system administration.
- Monitoring Tools: Experience with system monitoring tools (e.g. Nagios).
- Problem Solving: Ability to analyze and resolve complex infrastructure resource and application deployment issues.
B.Sc. in Computer Science or other equivalent technical discipline.
- Professional commitment to high quality, and a passion for learning new skills
- Detail-oriented individual with the ability to rapidly learn new concepts and technologies Strong problem solving skills, including providing simple solutions to complex situations
- Must be a strong team player with the ability to communicate and collaborate effectively in a geographically disperse working environment.
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills are essential
- Self-motivated, self-directing and a good communicator. A passion for performance, debugging and benchmarking. Enthusiasm for Agile software development.
- Awareness of current and emerging trends of software development Creative ideas with problem solving mindset.
- Dedicated to unit testing, code review and other quality-oriented practices.
- Be flexible and be comfortable in a fast-paced, sometimes ambiguous environment with frequently changing business needs.
This position is a full-time position based in Cape Town (V & A Waterfront)
Your compensation for this position will consist of a market related salary and share program.
Please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in the position.